Tuesday 3 February 2015

"Shift work dulls your brain"

Okay so if the quote above is correct, it explains a lot! I've been doing shift work since I turned 18 and late finishes since I was 16. As I am currently sitting on the lovely Greater Anglia train (please not high levels of sarcasm - but that's a different story) on my commute in to work, I thought that I'd give you my thoughts on shift work.

So it's 5.45 in the morning and i've already been up for nearly 2 hours (oh the joys that alarm clock brings!). I've got to say that on the whole I don't mind NOT doing 9-5, in fact there are quite a few benefits....

Firstly is that with shift times of 6-2, 2-10 and 10-6, I am never commuting during rush hour (actually we'll go with 'peak time' because at best I think rush hour lasts for 3 hours these days). This means I can always get a seat and (especially important when in uniform) I am less likely to get glares from unhappy commuters.

Secondly, 2/3rds of the time I am able to have a lie in! I have never been a morning person, so I've got to admit that the earlies are a bit horrible, however not having to be up until 11 when I'm on lates is bliss!

Finally is that my rest days are not necessarily weekends. Okay this can be a bit of a double edged sword, especially with us doing SK events some weekends, however it can be extremely beneficial. It allows me to sort things out like going to the bank or phoning the council. Simple tasks admittedly, but I'm sure that you'll agree, a pain to do when you work 9-5.

So there's my opinion on shifts and i'll write a post in a couple of days regarding what i've been up to (I know it's been ages...sorry!)

Oh and if anyone is interested the title quote comes from the following BBC article.
http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/health-29879521

No comments:

Post a Comment