Monday 19 May 2014

Those little things

Whilst I aim for this blog to be on the whole a positive thing, the idea of creating it came as I travelled through my local airport today. Being a plane nut I tend to arrive with an extra hour or so than needed so I can sit and watch the aircraft, but today as I look out the window, I am also writing this.

Whilst not what most people would class a frequent flyer, I have boarded aircraft quite a few times in the last 18 months or so and through my travels and my knowledge of aviation I have become quite adept at the airport process. This post focuses on 'those little things' that bug me as I travel through an airport.

Check-in
Whilst I wasn't around during the 'good ol' days' of aviation, I still manage to miss them. The excitement of flying or going on holiday to get away from the grind of everyday life is kind of ruined by the need to use a computer to be able to check in. With the Low Cost Carriers (LCCs) you now have to use your own personal computer, printer, paper and ink to be able to get anywhere near your flight. I'm sorry but is this not a service that the airlines are supposed to provide.

Even the Full Service Airlines (FSAs) are only one stop better. Flying with BA recently, we had to check-in at an automated check in desk before then dropping our bag of at a manned desk. I understand that theses are supposed to speed up the process and save airlines money, but whilst I am quite capable of using the machines, some people may not be and like the personal touch.

The airline i'm flying with today, Flybe, has taken things one step further. Whilst I can check in at the machine at the airport, if I have luggage, I now have to complete the bag drop process myself! Where has the human customer service touch gone?!

Security
Okay, I know security procedures seem to get more and more complicated every time you go to the airport, but the 100ml liquids rule has been around for years now. How hard is it!?

I joined a queue with only one lady in front of me at security today, compared to the one with 10 people, yet all 10 in the other queue managed to beat me through. I am aware that I have had a lot of practice at security recently but taking your belt off and emptying your pockets isn't that hard is it?

Food Court
If there is one security procedure that annoys me more than anything else, it is the miniature knives and forks that you now get given in the food court. Okay fair enough, a full size knife could be used in a dangerous manner, but making the fork prongs so short that they won't pick up a chip is just stupid!

Okay all,
Rant over.

Aidan

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you on check-in Aidan. I think Ryanair also used to have the cheek to charge you £5 or £10 extra to print your own boarding pass at home (although I haven't flown with them recently). I know KLM have introduced self-service bag drop machines at Schiphol a couple of years ago, and I think Qantas have got something similar, so unfortunately it looks like things are only going to get worse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wooooo... Planes... Yeah!!!!

    ReplyDelete